Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The Cola Wars... all is fair in love and soft drinks.

It seems there's just no down time for this editor/publisher these days. I finished the latest edition of The Soda Spectrum Series (for Coke bottle collectors) - http://www.sodaspectrum.com (shameless plug), then it was on to Soda Pop Dreams Magazine and the New Coke feature; in 10 days, I hope to have our new soda can publication finished and ready for the printer (yes, an ENTIRE MAGAZINE dedicated to soda can collectors). Then I get to change gears for a few weeks and work on some non-soda pop magazine stuff before starting the next cycle. Whew!!

I live in the very small town of Rosseau, Ontario (population 400). The other night when I walked down to the post office I happened to glance over at the General Store where two soda machines sit - one Coke, one Pepsi. They both face the road, spaced evenly... with both of them lit up it looked like a scene right out of a cola commercial. It got me to thinking about the Cola Wars.

Have you ever noticed that Coke and Pepsi seem to be ever-closely neck and neck in the beverage cooler? One can't sneeze without the other offering a tissue. Case and point: _________ with Lime. First it was Diet Coke with Lime, then more recently Coca-Cola with Lime. Now, Pepsi is following suit with its own Lime Pepsi concoction. A couple of years ago we had the introduction of Vanilla Coke, then came Pepsi Vanilla. Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi; Cherry Coke, Wild Cherry Pepsi; Coca-Cola C2, Pepsi Edge; tomato, tomAAto. My question, gentle readers, is when is enough, well, enough? At what point is there just no more space in the beverage cooler for these extension brands to exist? I have a feeling we're more likely to see more coolers added to convenience and grocery stores than we are to see the Cola Wars reduced to the almighty Coca-Cola and Pepsi anchor brand colas. And why not? If it gets more people drinking X-brand then why not add more extensions. Personally, I'm banking on Diet Chocolate Fudge Coke or Bubblegum Pepsi. Don't laugh - it could very well happen in my lifetime!!

It's just sad that stores will have to resort to adding entire new wings just to accomodate the ever-expanding beverage aisle. Thank God I'm a card-carrying Diet Coke man... otherwise I'd be just another confused consumer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home