Thursday, December 08, 2005

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like (Cola) Christmas...

Currently drinking: diet Coke, 8 oz. glass bottle

Depending on your geographic area, you might have as much snow outside your window as I do. Instead of listing at the top of my blog the beverage I'm currently consuming while writing this, maybe I should publish how much snow we currently have. Here in Muskoka, we have near a foot of snow and -4 C (25 F). For Christmas this year, Erin is buying me snowpants and an awesome winter hat (since she thinks if I have the proper winter attire I might actually go outside). When I asked her if I could sew a Coca-Cola patch on them somewhere she just rolled her eyes. Is that a no?

Are you in the Christmas spirit yet? If not, our special 'everything Coca-Cola' Christmas edition will help! It's a magazine for Coca-Cola collectors dedicated to the Christmas collecting season - and available only for the month of December!

Yesterday I was at the grocery store and when I turned the corner into the beverage aisle, the Pepsi delivery man was pulling a skid of product. I stopped him and asked a direct question: "Why didn't Pepsi bring out Holiday Spice this year?" The man looked a little surprised (probably because he wouldn't have expected anyone to remember it). "That was a special edition just for last year, unfortunately," he replied. Am I the only one who didn't think Holiday Spice was a wretched sauce? Served warm, it was rather delightful.

Speaking of warm sodas, while regular Coke and Pepsi served hot might not float your boat, over the holidays, try these and see what you think: hot Dr Pepper or hot Vernors Ginger Ale. I've had both, and admittedly, they hit the spot.

Anyway, back to the grocery store aisle. As I turned my head from my conversation with the PBG guy, who should appear coming down the opposite end of the aisle? Yep, that's right - Mr. Coca-Cola delivery man. It was like a scene right out of some cola wars commercial. I looked at the Coke man and said, "Now you guys behave - no fighting." The Pepsi guy smirked; the Coke man didn't acknowledge my comment. Sort of a reflection on the whole cola wars situation in which Pepsi has always embraced and Coca-Cola claims not to exist.

But how long will Coca-Cola be on top of the cola mountain? Sources say the two cola giants are once again struggling for the top spot in the cola wars. It's hard to believe, but Pepsi has been slowing and silently clawing its way back to the top. Not that the cola market is growing by leaps and bounds, mind you. While the market for sugar colas is shrinking, Pepsi is stealing a bigger piece of the proverbial pie than it has for years.

And Coca-Cola knows that it's every bit as true as analyists are forecasting.

In 2006, The Coca-Cola Company will debut an aggressive marketing campaign that starts with a new global slogan: "Welcome to the Coke side of life" which will replace its current "Real" tagline. I like it... but will it be enough to turn things around for Big Red? In 2005, Coke shares were down 17 percent VS. Pepsi's gain of 12 percent.

I guess this means I haven't been drinking ENOUGH diet Coke. So it's time for me to take one for the team... but I must confess, some Pepsi Lime and Pepsi Vanilla products have been sneaking into our fridge lately.

Thanks for reading, and I'll chat with you again in the pages of our print editions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home