Thursday, July 08, 2010

Coca-Cola Convention 2010

If you've never been to a National Coca-Cola Collectors Club Convention, you need to see it to believe it. In the past I've tried to explain 'room-hopping' to non-collectors and they look at me like I'm crazy.

Room-hopping is a unique bit of Coca-Cola collecting to experience. Here's how it works: you set up your Coca-Cola 'stuff' to sell in your hotel room. You prop the door open and hang out something to alert other collectors that your room is open. People casually walk in and out of open rooms, buy (hopefully) and chat with each other. I've met some of the nicest people while room-hopping.

Right now, I'm sitting here typing this blog entry from a hotel room in Milwaukee, WI, site of the 2010 Coca-Cola Collectors Club Convention. Today's activities were fast and furious all over the place. We had seminars this afternoon, and the silent auction for a couple of hours brought people out of the woodwork. Earlier I dropped in to listen to a 'first time attendees' seminar hosted by longtime collectors Ron Antonio and Elizabeth Wright.

Even though this is my third National Convention, I thought it might be a good idea to see things through the eyes of a first-timer, since I, too, was once in that same position. Ironically, this was my first 'first-timer' seminar - and I still learned lots.

This week I haven't bought too much... yet. But there's still another full day to find some new treasures. Something neat that I picked up was a test-market re-sealable Coca-Cola can ($5). Another cool little piece of Coca-Cola history to add to my Coke bathroom.

Lots more to pass along to you, but for now, it's off to bed. Thursday is my last full day here in Milwaukee and it promises to be busy with Ron's "What's It Worth" seminar where he pulls items from the upcoming Friday Live Auction and the crowd has the chance to guess what each item will go for at auction. Thursday night is Chapter Night, with various regional chapters gathering for their own little get-together.

I'll post again soon, and remember - if you couldn't make it to this year's National Convention, next year it's back in Atlanta. Make your plans now, you won't regret it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home